Sunday, March 21, 2010

Character AND Theory

Character may be the antidote to the frustrating inability of current architecture theory to deliver buildings that are fulfilling.

Along with teaching theory, maybe we need to help architect students be better people - to have good character. In the film "Goodbye, Mr. Chips", Mr. Chips says that it is enough to teach students to have humor and a sense of proportion.

I think that is probably right.

I trust design justifications by people of good character who can take a balanced measurement of what can be seen through empathy, the intellect and a study of precedent.

I guess I am pitching a case by case theory supported by ongoing honing of one's personal compass.

Your theory will always be in beta but I think the buildings will be better.

No comments: